10th INTERNATIONAL GOLDEN SCALE SHORT FILM COMPETITION
DIRECTIVE AND TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
The competition aims to select the best justice themed short film, promote production of justice themed films and create discussion about the theme.
The competition will take place in İstanbul within the scope of the 10th International Crime and Punishment Film Festival which will be held between 20th and 26th of November 2020.
Application deadline for the competition is September 4th 2020 6pm Turkish local time.
TERMS OF PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION
1. Justice themed fiction films (experimental and animation) released after 1st of January 2019 may participate in the International Golden Scale Short Film Competition.
2. Durations of the films submitted for the competition must not exceed twenty (20) minutes including the credits.
TERMS OF APPLICATION
1. Applications for the competition must be made online via the application link on the official website of the festival. Applications made through other channels will not be accepted.
2. For an application to be considered valid, the application form for the International Golden Scale Short Film Competition, filled completely, and an online screener link for the film must be sent to the festival before the application deadline of 4th September 2020.
3. An applicant may apply with more than one work of art. In this case, a separate application form must be filled for each film.
4. The signatories declare that all information filled in the application is accurate. The festival management is not obliged to investigate the accuracy of the information provided on the application forms. The signatory shall be the sole bearer of any legal responsibility that may arise from the information provided in the application.
5. Applicants must submit their preview copies, along with the application form and the materials listed below to the festival center via e-mail in digital format before the application deadline:
Online screener link with English subtitles
Summary of the film (English)
Film info (English)
Subtitles and dialogue list in English and the original language of the film
Film stills and poster (300 dpi min.)
Director’s biography, filmography and photo (300 dpi min).
Film trailer for use in festival introduction film and television promotions (Trailer must not include logo, subtitle, timecode etc.)
6. Screening copies of the films must have with English subtitles, in cases where this is not possible, an English dialogue list should be provided in order to make electronic subtitles in English.
7. Films shot in any format can participate in the competition. However, the festival screening copies must be in DCP format. Copies in other formats will not be screened.
8. Copies must have the appropriate picture and sound quality for screening. If the copy does not have the appropriate picture and sound quality, the film may be excluded from the competition without any warning.
9. Films accepted for the competition must ensure their DCP copies reach the festival center by 01 November 2020, 6p.m. local time.
10. Copies must be sent directly to the address stated by the festival. DCP copies must be sent to the festival in their original, protected, hard cover boxes, along with the name of the film written legibly on the box. Transport details of the films (Name of the film, date and type of transport) must be sent to the festival via email. Films will be returned to the address provided within three weeks of the conclusion of the festival.
11. Cost of arrival and return transportation of copies and storage, customs, insurance and transaction costs in Turkey will be covered by the Festival. Return transportation costs will be paid by the Festival only if the copy is being returned to the provider. However, if the copy is to be sent to another festival, the festival management is not responsible for the shipping and costs.
12. Films that have been commercially screened, shown on television channels, or have been commercially sold, distributed or broadcasted in any format previously or films that may be viewed publicly on the internet are not eligible to participate in the competition. Attending another festival or winning an award does not preclude participation in this competition.
13. Digital copies of the films participating in the competition will remain at the festival administration to be kept in the festival archive. The festival may use these copies for educational purposes at the university.
1. Competition films will be selected by the Pre-Jury, formed by the members of the Festival Advisor Board. The final decision on the selection and scheduling of the competition films will be made by the festival management.
2. Assessment results are announced on the festival website and sent to the participants e-mail addresses.
3. The festival jury and the jury president are selected by the festival committee from international directors, screenwriters, producers, actors, film critics, cinema historians and known people in the field of cinema. The president of the jury and / or members of the jury cannot leave their duties by showing a reason other than the force majeure stated in the law.
4. The jury can collectively or individually watch the films during the festival at cinema or private screenings.
5. Festival management will determine the time and date of the jury’s decision meeting and when the results will be delivered to the festival management.
6. Festival management will assign an observer without voting rights to attend the jury meeting. The results of the competition are delivered to the Festival Management together with the reasoned decision signed by all members by the Jury. Nobody except the jury members, the observer and a translator assigned by the festival management if necessary can attend the jury meetings. If the jurors’ votes are tied, the vote of the jury president will count as two votes.
7. The main jury will evaluate the competition films only in the best short film category and must choose a best film from the competition films. In addition, if the jury deems it appropriate, the jury can award a Jury Special Award. However, the Jury Special Award does not have a monetary award.
8. International Golden Scale Short Film Competition Best Short Film Award and the “1000 Euro” prize money will be awarded to the director of the film selected for the best short film.
9. The winner of the award must be present in person or represented by someone at the Award Ceremony in order to receive the award.
10. Monetary awards of the competition will be paid to the bank account declared by the director by 31st December 2020 following the deduction of tax and legal withholdings subject to the laws of the Republic of Turkey.
11. Owners of the work of art awarded and advanced to the final are obliged to publish a statement indicating that they received the award or were selected as finalists along with the logo of the International Crime and Punishment Film Festival in the opening and closing credits of their films, press releases, newspaper advertisements and all kinds of promotional media.
1. Representatives of all films participating in the competition agree to accept and be bound by all terms of the festival competition rules and regulations, set forth herein.
2. The Festival executive committee is responsible for resolving all issues that are beyond the scope of Festival rules & regulations and disputes or disagreements that might occur.
3. The festival management reserves the right to make changes in the regulation when necessary.